Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Centricity Showcase

Centricity Showcase at the Rutledge
Gospel Music Week: Entry 7 (Monday 4/20 9-11pm)

Centricity is one of the labels distributed by Word Music. I was excited to attend this showcase because I really tend to like the types of artists that tend to sign with their label. Andrew Peterson and Jason Gray (with a new release slated for September), both of whom I mention in my Artist Reception entry, are both Centricity artists. Downhere, Jamie Jamgochian and Daniel Kirkley are all with Centricity as well. Tonight's showcase featured five of their artists, four new and one established. The established artist, Downhere, was the finale of the line-up, and knowing that I had an early Tuesday morning, I slipped out before they did their set. I've heard and liked Downhere, but really wanted to access the "newbies"! :)

Things kicked off with Sixteen Cities, a five-piece pop-rock band from Portland. Their three songs were very enjoyable, and I anticipate that they'll connect very well with youth audiences as they tour. We'll have to wait to see how their debut CD (currently slated for mid-September) captures their sound.
Matt Pappa is a powerful, high-energy worship leader, with a decidedly Crowder-esque flavor and his own unique flair. Lanae Hale was a pleasant surprise, as I'm pretty fussy on the female artists who capture my favor. She has a great vocal sound, with just enough airiness and just enough grit to keep things interested. I'm now looking forward to her May 19th release a great deal.
But the standout of the night was easily Meinmotion, a killer 3-man retro-rock/punk band who blew me away! The toured with Fireflight this past year, and made quite a buzz at a local show they had done at UCCC. One of our music staffers, Josh, had been in attendance, and has been gently harassing me for any hint of what label they were with and/or when an album would be coming out. Now I understand his urgency- these guys are simply amazing! While I don't know any dates yet, I'll definitely be keeping everyone posted! Grace and Peace. -Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment