Friday, September 18, 2009

Buy the Book! (or Be Woefully Unfulfilled)

Andrew Peterson's "North! (or be eaten)" is the rollicking second entry in the Wingfeather Saga, which I find myself hoping will be far more than a trilogy. Peterson's writing is intelligent without being pretentious, captivating without being formulaic and positively brimming with adventure, whimsy and characters you'll find yourself rooting for. As a father of six young children, my time to read is at a premium, but the tales of Janner, Tink & Leeli Igiby are treasures to us all.
The first book, "On The Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness", was hungrily devoured by the Brink tribe in nightly family readings that ended all too soon. My kids were consumed by the cliffhangers and possibilities- I wasn't far behind. The wait for the second book was agonizing, and I plowed through it on my own in a weeks' time, under the auspices of writing this grown-up review. It was a wondrous roller coaster ride, characterized the exhilarating twists, turns and obstacles that are to be expected, but never fully anticipated. It was over far too quickly, leaving me breathless and with my mind spinning with the possibilities of where things might head in the third book. Now, reading it aloud with my own brood, I'm getting to savor the finer nuances and clues that were masterfully tucked away here and there.
Book Two expands the scope of its storytelling in two very important ways. First, the scope of the story enlarged, getting our beloved trio of siblings and their supporting cast out of Glipwood and away from the lizard-like Fangs. They encounter new locales, new perils, new cultures and formidable new adversaries. Some characters thought dead returned, others dearly loved died valiantly and new characters are introduced who greatly enrich the story. Secondly, and more importantly, the scope of the characters hearts expand as they discover deeper reservoirs of courage, hope and loyalty, but also wrestle unflinchingly with darker emotions like betrayal, compromise, jealousy, despair, regret and remorse. Several characters undergo significant physical changes, but more powerful is the metamorphosis of character that is set forth without apology.
Peterson's writing is rich and well-paced, inventive and never heavy-handed. Breaking away from the ensemble feel that characterizes much of the narrative, one character is isolated from the others for several harrowing chapters. Peterson's portrayal of their ordeal shows admirable restraint, but the resolve and strength of character that ultimately emerges had me both weeping and cheering on the public bus I was riding. I was so lost in the plight and the triumph that I had momentarily forgotten that it was mere story. Books of this caliber are a rare treasure, and I have every confidence that Andrew has a myriad of great stories to share with us in the future. I for one simply cannot wait! -Michael J Brink

No comments:

Post a Comment